Tweet Me

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, October 15, 2006

    English Lesson on Tropical Fruits

    Ever wondered whether the names of the fruits u eat are in English or otherwise?

    On Tuesday, I was eating this fruit known to me as Ba Lu Gu (as I learnt from my parents that tat's the fruits name since I was young). Then, on my way to work, I asked myself what is the English name for this fruit...cracked my brain and I still could not find an answer. When I reached office, I started asking my colleagues and our conclusion is that this fruit has no English name. And that the name of this fruit is actually "Buh Duku" in Malay language. Interesting huh? As this is tropical fruit and grown in some countries only, think there is no English name given to it. We continued with discussion on other fruits as well...

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Buh Duku - Malay Word

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Longan - Malay Word

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Rambutan - Malay cum English Word

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Durian - Malay cum English Word

    As for Lychee, we couldnt decide between Malay or Cantonese word...coz it could hv been both.

    Now, start wondering what is the English name of the fruits u eat next time...

    No comments: