Tweet Me

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, December 19, 2006

    Flu vs Cold??!!!

    Well, as I was saying...I visited the doctor and this is wat happened.

    I went to the doctor in central rather than the one near my home. Although it costs more and the waiting time is longer, I think the medicine works better on me.

    First, I went in and gave my name. The nurse/assistant mumbled "17" while facing her colleague. While I took a seat I was wondering wat tat number was for (she did not explain to me) when I saw a call number display...so 17 is my queue number! Does the nurse think that I am a regular in their clinic such tat I will know abt the queue system! The number was at 12, so I was thinking...maybe not too long a wait. So, then I was just sitting there bored and observing others. A few other patients came in and they were promptly informed by the nurse that the usual Dr Lim was not ard and a Dr Lee was covering (I was NOT told!)...some minded and went out saying that they will come another day...other said it was ok and took a queue number too.

    Then, I heard the nurse said to her colleague that she cannot find my medical card. Saw her looking through the cabinets and even went to another room...afterwhich she finally gave up and put a fresh new card for me. I waited for abt 1 hr before my turn to see the doctor...really long waiting time if u ask me. Dr Lee was a young chap, I havent seen him before and the first question he asked was "So, wats wrong with u?". I answered "flu". Then, he asked "Wats ur symptons?" So, I listed the usual "Running nose, blocked nose, sore throat which developed into cough, greenish phlegm but no fever". He then said "That's not flu, its just cold. Many mistook cold for flu. Flu, such as bird flu and other flus, starts with fever and there will not be running or blocked nose. Cold on the other hand does not start with fever, although it might develop into a fever later on." I do appreciate the explanation coz now at least I know the difference between a flu and a cold. Since I have a fresh new medical card...he had to ask abt my medical history, asthma, allergy and blah blah...the routine lah. Then he asked what I felt was a stupid question "So, are u working?" How old does he think I am? Or does he think I am a delinquent who laze ard? I know he just wanted to know if I needed MC but couldnt he just ask "Do u need MC?". Anyway, after seeing him, I waited another long 15 mins before I got my medicines and went home to my lovely bed.

    I wonder...why do some clinics torture their patients like tat with their long waiting time? Dun they know tat we are feeling horrible as it is being sick? Only thing I am glad of is...the medicine seems to be working...although not really speedily.

    No comments: