Tweet Me

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, August 26, 2007

    Lost in Confusion

    Its been a long absence from blogging (nearly 2 whole weeks) but I have good excuse this time. I was in a real state of confusion this past week.

    As some of u might have known, I havent settled in to my new job well...been feeling kinda drained for the past weeks...not really happy. Then my fren opened an opportunity for me to apply for job at STB. The thought of possibly going back to STB and working with my ex-colleagues (whom I met when I was temp-ing there) motivated me to apply for the post. Yes, it seems like such a hasty move and I wont deny tat u r right in thinking so. So I went for interview and it was possibly the toughest interview I had.

    With only 1 day to prepare for the interview, I sort of just surf the web and did a bit of research which apparently was not enuff. I was thoroughly grilled during the interview. The interviewers were the AD and my manager fren. My fren kept quiet (which is only fair lah) while the AD shot qs at me. Wat sort of qs...let me try to recall (not in any particular order):

    1) About my past job experience - Why I want to leave? What I do there?...standard qns
    2) What are my accomplishment in my past job?...I stumbled at this, I never really tot any of the work I did are considered any real 'accomplishment'
    3) What do I think about tourism in Singapore?...I crapped a bit here, tried to smoke through
    4) Why do I wana join STB?
    5) What are my short term and long term goals?
    6) What are my strengths and weaknesses?


    I did horribly at the interview and at the end of it, the AD said "Honestly, u have lousy interview skills. U have to answer straight to the point and make urself clear. Its only coz I worked with my dept for some time and trust their judgement, that is why I believe in their assessment of pple and who can work or not. If not for the fact that they recommended u, I would have strike u off based on this interview.".....Haiz....that was a real blow....

    Then she went on to tell me where I went wrong in my interview (must thank her for pointing these out though...shall try to remember in future):

    1) Not well prepared for interview, did not do enuff research on STB
    2) Did not answer straight to the point with clarity
    3) Not clear about my goals

    4) Hesitate before answering qns..must try to answer faster
    5) No accomplishments in past jobs. Accomplishment can be in the form of being able to handle a certain task more efficiently, etc...I remember she said this "If u are proud of ur job and wat u do...u will think that everything u do are accomplishments and not just routine work" (Goes to show how 'proud' I am of my past jobs...zzzzz)

    Thats about most of wat I remembered from the job interview...they did put me up for 2nd interview (coz of my frens' recommendation) but then I rejected them after a whole night of thinking.

    I thought deeply about why I applied for my current job in the law firm previously, wat are my goals when I studied my degree, wat makes it unbearable for me to stay put and endure the challenge of a new work environment and unfamiliar job scope. Then I proceed to think if I accepted the 2nd interview at STB and if I got the job, why do I want tat job? Just to work with my frens? Do I really like the job scope there? Would I like working with the AD (whom I think is a super 'ON' and tough person)? I think I might have character clash with her (my instinct tells me she is not an easy person to tackle...she gave me badddd 'vibes').

    Finally I came to the decision...I SHALL GIVE A 2ND TRY TO MY CURRENT JOB! ^^

    Its not all that bad here...I just have to adjust my lifestyle and get to really learn my job...then things will hopefully get better.

    Frens, cheer for me k!

    No comments: