Tweet Me

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, January 06, 2007

    Flashback on a Sick Ending

    As promised, an account of my absence as mentioned in my previous post. This will be a long entry, so read only when u are free k.

    No, the reason for my absence was not due to the Taiwan earthquake which affected the internet in some areas. Mine was a simple (though not so short) case of being SICK.

    18 Dec 06
    My posts on 19 Dec 2006 explained that I had this bad cold (go read they are interesting) which started in early Dec, stopped and then came back in mid-Dec (16 Dec to be exact). Well, this virus was more stubborn then I imagined. So, I saw the doc on Mon, 18 Dec.

    22 Dec 06
    Then the cold did not get better and I had to revisit the doc on Fri, 22 Dec...this time I got my fav doc in tat same fav clinic of mine. Got so near to Xmas and I was still sick...remember I still got lots of phlegm and running nose then.

    24 Dec 06
    Xmas Eve came on Sun, 24 Dec. We had feasting at home as planned. The food from Prima Deli is as good as previous year's. Except this year, I dun feel too good and gave up on the pretty log cake. By evening, I was playing maple and suddenly quite cold and feverish at the same time. Told my mum the same but she dismissed it, thought it was nothing (T_T). So it was no surprise tat when she came back at 11pm plus, my fever hit 39.1 degrees and I was basically having the "heavy head" syndrome. 2 panadols plus cold towel on head aided me to my slumber.

    25 Dec 06
    Xmas day came and my fever went down a bit...but it came back in the afternoon and I had to visit the 24 hr clinic in the evening (since my fav clinic is not open on Xmas). It cost a bloody $105.00!!!! Got a whole bagful of medicines back and felt rather unhappy abt spending so much since it was a holiday and consultation is generally more expensive on holidays. But then I got 2 days MC after Xmas day....to rest...supposedly.

    28 Dec 06
    Then on Thu, 28 Dec morning when I was supposed to go back office, I felt giddy in the morning and had diarrhoea...bad coz I din really eat much since Xmas eve. So, back to the doc again...this time to the 24hr clinic again coz I din wana change doc again and since they have my last record...then alas! I got another doc when I get there. 5 times to 3 different clinics...5 differents docs!!! Like tat how to cure me???!!!!

    30 Dec 06
    So, I was on MC again on 28 Dec but went back to work on Fri, 29 Dec...thinking that I was better...just the diarrhoea left I think. I as wrong again :( on Sat, 30 Dec morning at 4am...I woke up feel super hot and found tat I have fever again! Haiz...Struggled abt 5am plus when my dad came home...thinking tat miraculously I will recover on my own...fat chance I guess. My parents and bro brought me to A&E (Emergency) at Tan Tock Seng at 6am plus...think I got everyone worried coz of the recurring fever. Well, blood test, urine test and X-ray shows tat I was normal. So the doc deduced that I was having a case of "viral infection" which is caused by prolonged cases of virus in the body...could be from flu virus, cold virus, cough virus...such technical terms...as if we will ever understand them. I had 2 pills for my fever, 2 bags of IV drips (dun ask me wat are they, coz I have no idea wat they do either) and an injection for my horrid headache which developed after my fever. Went home at abt 11am plus...4 whole hours in A&E...record sia. -_|||

    Taking another bagful of medicine, I went home feeling a lot better than the morning. After taking the charcoal medicine for the diarrhoea, I woke up with red but non itchy rashes all over my arms and legs. Shocked again. Received a call from a doc from Tan Tock Seng asking me to continue my antibiotics from my GP but I told her I have already finished them, so she asked me to make ANOTHER trip down to A&E. (Pple shld be shot for asking a sick person to travel here and there!). When I got to A&E in the evening, I got yet another doc to re-examine me. This time, the doc told me I shldnt take anymore antibiotics (why the hell they ask me to go down again then!!!). Anyway, since I had the rashes, I shun bian told the doc abt it (very bad decision though) and he injected something to test if its drug allergy. I wasted another 2 hrs there whereby in the end he told me its not drug allergy and probably the rashes is caused by the viral infection. They passed me a letter to go down to the Communicable Disease Centre, CDC (sounded like I got some contagious disease) on 3 Jan 07 for a follow-up.

    31 Dec 06
    New Year Eve, I was feeling a little better...fever was under control using the fever medicine but the diarrhoea is almost gone...managed to get bits of food into my stomach and stay in there. Only problem is...I was feeling sorry for myself for being sick both during Xmas and New Year...while everyone was celebrating, I was huddled up in bed and watching tv and the countdown showing then. Sad indeed.

    3 Jan 06
    After another 2 days of rest, I have more energy and felt more rested. I just wanted to get the follow up done and over with so tat I can put a "full stop" to my sickness. But this was yet another infuriating day.

    My mum accompanied me to the CDC at 9am plus. When we reach there, the nurse promptly told us tat the doctors are all fully booked on schedule and could not see me till afternoon. Then she commented that I was there to see my drug rash?!! I quickly check with her on the purpose of my visit there coz I was given to think tat I was there coz of my viral infection. But on verification, I was there coz of my drug rash, which by then was already gone...it was already gone on Sun, 31 Dec actually. So feeling it was pointless to see the doc at CDC (and the nurse agrees with me since I have no more rashes), the nurse told me to go back to A&E to "nullify" my record which shows an appt at CDC. My mum walked with me all the way to the A&E at Tan Tock Seng which was nearby the CDC and I went to enquire with the nurses on the procedure to nullify the record.

    To which, a doc just asked "Do u need to see a doc?"
    I said "No."
    She continued "So wat do you want then since u have no more rashes?"
    I said "The nurse at CDC asked me to come down to nullify my record."
    "No need lah." She ended and the security guard on the side confirmed "Yah, no need."

    And at the end of the fiasco at both CDC and A&E, neither side took down my name or IC to record that I have been down that day! Bloody waste of my time if u asked me...and I tot I was suppose to go down to CDC to follow-up on my "viral infection". -_|||


    I did a calculation and found out how much I spent on this stupid sickness, 5 clinic visits and 1 A&E visit:

    $24 + $34 + $36 + $105 (Xmas)+ $40 + $74.80 (A&E) = $313.80

    Out of the above, I can only claim $60.00 from the office....haiz....really lugi!!!!

    I HATE BEING SICK!!!!

    No comments: